I actually wanted to comment on the way the chancellor will finally get his proposed tax break in an all party round-table talk at least slightly reminiscent of the post communist round-tables, when there was no stable old government left and no new one in sight. That’s not quite the case in Germany, one would tend to think, but as tonight’s decision making process indicates – maybe it’s just not as easy to see.
But they haven’t decided yet and I can’t be bothered to wait. So instead, my gentle readers, I have decided to regale you with a little story from the wacko department.
Today, I stumbled over another indicator that the internet’s lowering of “market entry barriers” is definitely helping all kinds of bizarre fringe opinions to see the light of the day. You know, I’m all with Voltaire with respect to free speech, but sometimes I just can’t help but wonder if too low transaction costs also mean that a lot of people are carelessly giving up their chance of remaining a philospher by not opening their mouths…
The victim of the day is a nineteen year old American, David McNamara, who calls himself the “Anti-Porn-Guy“. I’m still not sure if he is real, as his website has not been updated in a while – but some quick googling suggested he might be. Now I don’t mind people being for or against pornography, but for a nineteen year old male, being against the depiction of undressed females is a bit reminiscent of the “fish are friends”-sharks in “Find Nemo”… So, without further delay, here’s an excerpt from the diary of an American Taliban –
I believe in a national dress code. The National Dress Code (NDC) will be as follows:
- All persons must wear clothing from their neck to three inches below their knees when in public or in the presence of children.
- Women MUST wear dresses. Trousers are NOT lady-like and therefore, women ought not to wear them.
- Jeans are to be banned.
- Any profanity or sexual references on clothing will be banned.
- Businesses must comply with the NDC. Failure to do so will require business owners to sell their operation to the highest bidder.
- Failure to obey the NDC will be subject to a fine NOT exceeding $10,000 and/or up to 30 days imprisonment.
Well, a lot more could be written about this, and it would certainly start with my impression that Mr McNamara’s problem is not that he sees too many girls in trousers… but I’ll leave you with your own thoughts tonight. However, he’s certainly earned himself a position in my personal wacko top-ten – just behind the Japanese actress who told me that the Nazis were in fact alien manipulated robots…